WebP to JPG
How To Quickly Convert WebP To JPG?
WebP is one of the most modern file formats developed by Google for displaying images online. Many studies show that WebP's image rendering capabilities are more efficient than JPG and PNG formats.
It's new but not too complicated for you to work on. Most operating systems, browsers, and software these days come with auto-formatting.
So, it will be easier for you to convert the popular WebP to JPG in many cases. In the article below, let's look at small tips to make the transition between the two formats faster.
Table of Contents
- WebP Overview
- The Pros and Cons of WebP
- JPG Overview
- Compare WebP vs. JPG
- Tips To Convert WebP To JPG
- Frequently Asked Questions
To convert the WebP file to JPG smoothly, you must first understand this file format. This section is all you need to know about WebP.
With that said, WebP is a modern file format with good compression without losing image or data quality. Yet, Web images are typically 25% to 34% smaller than JPG and PNG file sizes at the exact resolution.
As a longtime website developer, I usually prefer to create small images in bulk in this WebP file format. It allows me to load the web quickly, save data memory and ensure efficient work performance.
Also, WebP supports lossy, lossless, and transparent features in converting PNG or GIF to the respective file format.
Components of WebP
WebP takes up a lot of user traffic from different sources, such as mobile apps and websites. It gets the support of famous platforms, including Google Chrome, Edge, Safari, Opera browser, Firefox, and many more.
For components, WebP comes with modern decoding libraries and many command-line Cwebp and Dwebp. Also, it owns viewing and animation options to quickly help users change WebP to jpg and vice versa.
What does the WebP do?
Because it comes with VP8, VP8L, and other RIFF container image data, the Libwebp library plays a vital role in how WebP works. Of course, it's also the most practical reference implementation for the WebP spec.
In principle, the same way that the VP8 video codec compresses keyframes, WebP also uses lossy compression to encode images.
Next, it uses the values in the neighboring pixel blocks to make predictions about uniform and distinct matters.
Finally, apply lossless compression to the above prediction results to reconstruct the new pixel system.
The Pros and Cons of WebP
The WebP format has gradually become popular in recent years. So what are the advantages and disadvantages? Let's continue reading for more information!
- Fast loading times: WebP allows you to compress easily while maintaining the high quality of your images. On the other hand, jpg convert WebP also requires little storage space, so you will save a lot of time loading image files using this format.
- Save web storage costs: Webp files take up less memory, using less bandwidth and device resources. In particular, it also helps save storage costs for websites containing many images.
- Transparent background and animation support: Webp is a solid choice if you add alpha channels like GNP or create animations like GIF format.
Here are some limitations of WebP specifically:
- Not compatible with all browser platforms
- High CPU requirements
- It takes a long time to decipher
Here is some vital information about the jpg file. Continue reading to understand more about it and the methods to convert this image format.
JPG is a popular and easy-to-use format. You may need it daily or whenever you want to send photos to others using computers and electronic devices. Modern photography functions further increase the community's demand for 'selfies.'
Most mobile devices store photos in JPG format because it takes up less space and has faster transfer performance than other formats.
In particular, millions of images on social networks and exchanged via the internet or email are now JPGs.
JPG gradually became the standard for professional photographers. Of course, any format has to undergo file compression, and JPG is no exception.
This compression facility is based on cutting image parts into basic pixel blocks to save storage space in memory without editing.
The compression range is extensive, with as low as 2: 1 and as high as 100: 1. You can change the pixel file size and reduce the image file data if you want.
JPG is a convenient solution for exchanging image files in the digital age. Yet, I think it's not the best choice if you want high image quality.
Lines and typography on photos tend to become blurred if you save, copy, and send them multiple times.
Compare WebP vs. JPG
WebP and JPEG both can compress images for easier sharing and storage, but there are some distinct differences between them:
- File size: WebP file sizes are typically up to 34% smaller than traditional JPEG files. WebP is only available in small file sizes and high-quality images on websites. At the same time, JPG is present in almost everything from logos to photos and even screenshots.
- Storage space: JPG supports highly detailed pictures but takes up much storage space in memory. In contrast, WebP file is very space-saving while maintaining high image quality.
- Loading speed: When comparing the loading speed between WebP and JPG, many people say that WebP has the advantage and faster loading performance.
Tips To Convert WebP To JPG
You're probably new to WebP images, but converting them to JPG is simple and only takes a minute. Here are some tips to help you make the transition smooth.
Using Microsoft Paint
Microsoft Paint does a great job of changing webp to jpg. Here's how to use it:
- Step 1: Launch Microsoft Paint by double-clicking on the desktop or toolbar icon.
- Step 2: Click the File on the menu and choose Open webp files.
- Step 3: Press the WebP image file you need to convert image files.
- Step 4: Click the File and move the mouse pointer to "Save As." Then choose "JPEG" from the menu item above.
- Step 5: To save webp as JPG, select Save after you have imported the files for the converted image.
Using an online converter
If you are not using a Windows PC, I recommend using a jpg converter to convert webp as it is the easiest way to turn webp into jpg.
This process will take a few seconds to complete, including downloading the image and clicking the "convert files" button.
Edit image URL
Edit image URL is probably the best manual method to save a webp image to jpg.
- Step 1: Right-click on the WebP image to be converted and copy the address of this image.
- Step 2: Paste the address you just got into a new tab and remove the _rw characters at the end; the image will upload in JPG format as soon as you press enter.
- Step 3: Press Save from the menu bar to save the image to your device.
Use a browser that does not support WEBP
Google Chrome and Opera are the only platforms supporting a WebP file. So, you need to save the image with a browser that doesn't support WebP to load the image into JPG.
Some ideal browsers for you include Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are photos saved as WebP?
WebP allows images to be displayed in high quality quickly on the internet. It is smaller than other formats and offers many storage options to users, including lossless compression.
How do I turn off WebP format?
If you want to turn off WebP images, I recommend installing a conversion plugin. These plugins will help you convert WebP files to another popular format like JPG or PNG before you save them.
On the other hand, you can consider some tips and tricks I have shared above.
Is WebP good for SEO?
Yes. WebP and SEO are two terms that always go hand in hand. Their design purpose is to reduce website storage space, making it run faster and smoother.
And it improves search engine ranking and enhances the experience for visitors.
Can a WebP be a virus?
The truth is yes. Although WebP files contain only compressed images, there are times when there is a risk associated with viruses. So it's better to scan the download for malware and check it for safety before saving.
What does WebP stand for?
WebP is short for Web Picture, a file type developed by Google as a derivative and video format.
In this post, I have introduced you to some essential features, pros, and cons of WebP and how to convert it to JPG format.
I advise that if you're a webmaster or are after faster loading performance, consider using the WebP form. I believe the superior compression will captivate you and have a great experience.
There are many ways to convert WebP to JPG and JPG to WebP. However, it would be best if you used Microsoft Paint. It can maintain smooth conversion while ensuring image quality as well as resolution. Thank you for reading!